Peace Memorial Hospital

Extending the Hospital 1937

The Watford and District Peace Memorial Hospital was extended in 1937, when a new three story block with six wards and a Nurses’ Home, Knutsford House, were added. The new build included an operating theatre, the nurses home, new main kitchen and central boiler house.

In the 1930’s The Elms house was demolished to make way for the Watford Colosseum which was built in 1938 as the Watford Town Hall Assembly Rooms.  The Colosseum has featured significantly for both the Hospital and Hospice hosting Royal Galas, Charity Concerts and Annual Events.

Nurses at Peace Memorial Hospital in the 1940s-min